Version classiqueVersion mobile
OpenEdition Books

Figurines de terre cuite en Méditerranée grecque et romaine

 | 
Arthur Muller
, 
Ergün Laflı

3.3. Périphéries

Terracotta Protomes from the Sanctuary on Maiskaya Mount (Asian Bosporos)

Protomés en terre cuite du sanctuaire du Mont Maiskaya (Bosphore asiatique)

Tatiana Ilyina

Résumé

The favissa of a sanctuary, perhaps of Aphrodite Apatouros near Phanogoria (Cimmerian Posporos), yielded more than thousand fragments of terracotta protomes. Their chronology, from the mid-5th c. to the mid-3rd c. BC, is established by the combination of the series analysis and the archaeomagnetic method.

La favissa d’un sanctuaire, peut-être celui d’Aphrodite Apatouros près de Phanagorie (Bosphore cimmérien), a livré plus d’un millier de fragments de protomés féminines en terre cuite. Leur datation, du milieu du ve s. au milieu du iiie s. av. notre ère, est établie par la combinaison de l’analyse des séries et du recours à l’archéomagnétisme.

Entrées d'index

Géographique :

Phanagorie

Les formats HTML, PDF et ePub de cet ouvrage sont accessibles aux usagers des bibliothèques et institutions qui l'ont acquis dans le cadre de l'offre OpenEdition Freemium for Books. L'ouvrage pourra également être acheté sur les sites de nos libraires partenaires, aux formats PDF et ePub. Si l’édition papier est disponible, des liens vers les librairies sont également proposés sur cette page.

Extrait du texte

1. The Sanctuary on Maiskaya Mount

Maiskaya Mount is an extinct volcano situated one kilometre to the south of Phanagoria (Asian Bosporos) (fig. 1). In 1958-1959, archaeological excavations conducted by an expedition of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, brought a in antis building to light.1 This building, 12 by 9.3 meters, oriented from north-north-west to south-south-east, had mud-brick walls covered with red plaster. According to analogous structures, it could be interpreted as a temple or treasury. To the south of this building a favissa, constructed in the natural fissure of the rock (12 by 2.2 m), was uncovered.

Fig. 1. – Sketch map of the Cimmerian Bosporus.

Image

The favissa contained a large number of broken terracotta protomes (about 1,200 pieces) and figurines (fig. 2), black-glazed vessels, local table-ware, as well as amphora fragments (about 11,000 fragments). According to the preliminary analysis of the finds from the favissa, this seemed to have functioned from t...

Auteur

Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, Russia.

© Presses universitaires du Septentrion, 2015

Conditions d’utilisation : http://www.openedition.org/6540