Desktop versionMobile version
OpenEdition Books

Grecs et indigènes de la Catalogne à la mer Noire

 | 
Henri Tréziny

Chapitre 5. Les fortifications

3. Il sito fortificato di Serro di Tavola (Aspromonte)

Massimo Brizzi and Liliana Costamagna

Abstract

Le site archéologique reconnu à Serro di Tavola près de Sant’Eufemia d’Aspromonte (RC) a été fouillé entre 1984 e 1991 avec une recherche conduite surtout en extension et avec seulement trois sondages profonds afin d’évaluer la puissance des niveaux stratigraphiques. Le lieu est situé au bord des Piani d’Aspromonte (un plateau bien cultivé à 1000 m d’altitude), le long d’une route naturelle qui remonte de la plaine di Gioia Tauro et permet d’arriver à Reggio par l’intérieur du pays, en évitatnt les falaises entre Palmi et Villa San Giovanni. On a reconnu trois phases de construction principales mais on connaît surtout le plan de la troisième. De la première phase nous avons seulement un morceau de la fondation d’une enceinte bâtie en pisé et petites pierres, parallèle au mur d’enceinte sud de la phase suivante. On n’a pas le niveau de marche de cette phase, que l’on ne sait donc pas date. Cette première enceinte fut arasée pour la construction de la phase suivant, la plus monumentale. Cette seconde construction est une enceinte de plan à peu près carré (44 m EW x 48 m NS), avec un accès en retrait au milieu du côté W. Il y avait peut-être aussi un accès secondaire au sud, près de l’angle SE. L’enceinte est large de 1,80 m et a été bâtie avec de la terre et des pierres irrégulières. La technique de construction est très particulière. Les parois sont en pierres irrégulières, arrangées de façon à ménager une suite de petits arcs remplis de terre, sans doute pour renforver la cobnstruction. Au dessus l’élévation était en terre pressée. Dans la troisième phase le monument est réduit à 35 m EW sur 32 m NS et bâti en partie sur l’enceinte plus ancienne. Le mur a une largeur réduite à 1,60 m, et emploie toujours la technique à voûtes. On a fouillé seulement les côtés Ovest et Sud, où il y a des pièces régulières, carrées, avec des foyers, couvertes par un toit de tuiles, ouvertes vers une cour centrale. La céramique est toute de production grecque, pour la plupart attique. La phase 2 se date dans le troisième quart du VIe s., la phase 3 vers 490-480 av J.-C., après quoi le site est abandonné. Il ne s’agit pas d’un site indigène, mais d’un site grec à fonctions militaires, en raison du plan, de la position topographique, et parce qu’on n’a pas trouvé de pithoi pour la conservation des denrées alimentaires. Le site devait abriter une petite garde armée pour le contrôle du territoire, à une époque où les Locriens ont occupée toute la plaine de Gioia Tauro et mettent sous pression les frontières de Rhégion, et aussi pour protéger les terres agricoles de la cité sur les Piani d’Aspromonte.

The archaeological site of Serro di Tavola, in the highland of the council of Sant’Eufemia d’Aspromonte (RC-Italy), has been extensively excavated between 1984 and 1991. Serro di Tavola is located on the northern edge of the Piani d’Aspromonte, a rich soil plain 1000 m above the sea level, along a raw route climbing from the Gioia Tauro plain up to the Piani d’Aspromonte and descending to Reggio, an alternative way to the coastal path through the sea cliff near Palmi and Villa San Giovanni. Three main construction phases have been detected, even if only the latest one has been well investigated. Part of an ancient foundation of a defence wall was discovered in the southern area out of the perimeter of the fortified site. The wall is built by hard-pressed mud and few pebbles. The ground floor of the wall is not preserved and there are no chronological indicators for this phase. The mud wall was destroyed when a new defence wall was built up. The plan of the second fortification is almost square (44 x 48 m) ; the entrance, in the western side, is planned in a recess, while a minor gate could have been initially used in the southern side. The wall is 1,80 m wide, built in the lower part by big irregular stones laid in transverse rows alternate with pure clay and covered by stone courses, creating a baseboard set up by small false vaults filled by earth. Probably, this unique technique allowed the constructors to get a strong structure even though very cheap components were used. Upon the stone base, the wall was built by hard-pressed mud. In the third phase the building was narrowed down (35 x 32 m) and the perimeter wall partially overlaps with the earlier one. The wall is 1,60 m wide and it is built in the same technique described for the earlier phase. The building, dug up for almost half of its extension, has a central court and rooms on each side. The northern and southern ones have standard sizes and they are completely open on the court side, with tile roofs and central hearth. The whole ceramic processed is Greek and most of black glazed pottery is from Attic production. Pottery from the second phase of the excavation can be dated within the third quarter of the 6th century B.C. ; finds from the third phase are datable within the second decade of the 5th century B.C. The site was abandoned before the mid-5th century. On the basis of the archaeological evidence, one can assume that the second and third phase of the building were not indigenous. Military purpose is likely for the architectural peculiarities of the perimeter walls and the strategic location of the site. Moreover, excavation did not provide evidence for warehouses nor areas for processing goods. The building could lodge an armed guard to control an important agricultural area in a context of increasing pressure by Locrians in the Piana of Gioia Tauro where Rhégion was forced to abandon the territory of Metauros.

The HTML, PDF, ePub formats of this book are available to the users of libraries and institutions subscribing to the OpenEdition Freemium program for Books. The book will also be available to buy in PDF and ePub formats on the websites of our partner bookstores. If a print edition of the book is available, links to bookstores will be displayed on this page.

Excerpt

Il sito archeologico di Serro di Tavola venne individuato casualmente nel 1983 in occasione di lavori di rimboschimento condotti dal Corpo Forestale dello Stato sul versante ovest del promontorio di Spilinga. La specificazione “di Tavola” attribuita al Serro è legata proprio alla percezione da parte della popolazione locale della presenza di un terrapieno rettangolare, rialzato rispetto alla quota naturale del terreno circostante. La località ricade nell’ambito del Comune di Sant’Eufemia d’Aspromonte (RC), all’estremo sud del versante tirrenico calabrese (fig. 412), e si colloca proprio all’estremità nord del promontorio di Spilinga (fig. 413), sul limitare dell’alta scarpata che separa i Piani d’Aspromonte, un vasto altopiano compreso tra circa m 1000 e 1100 s.l.m. di cui fa parte il promontorio di Spilinga, dal sottostante altopiano, denominato Piani della Corona, attestato a circa m 500 di quota.

Fig. 412. L’estremità della penisola calabrese (carta IGM).

Image 1.png

Fig. 413-414 Immagini trid...

Author(s)

Archéologue, Durham University, Department of Classics and Ancient History Honorary Fellow <massimo.brizzi@durham.ac.uk>

Archeologo, Direttore del Museo archeologico di Spoleto, Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici dell’Umbria, Piazza Partigiani n. 9, I - 06121 Perugia <lcostamagna@beniculturali.it>

© Publications du Centre Camille Jullian, 2010

Terms of use: http://www.openedition.org/6540