Version classiqueVersion mobile
OpenEdition Books

Atlas of Jordan

 | 
Myriam Ababsa

Chapter four - Islamic and Ottoman Times (629 AD - 1918)

Introduction to Chapter four

Texte intégral

With the Muslim conquest, the territory of modern-day Jordan was for the first time in close proximity to the centre of an Empire; first Medina and then Damascus under the Umayyads. The Byzantine province of Arabia was replaced by the jund al-Urdunn (in the north-west of the country) and the jund dimashq (in the east and south). Amman and Aqaba were reorganised by the Umayyads, whose itinerant court built lavish residences along the wadis. However, in 750 the centre of power, now Abbasid, moved to Baghdad, and the territory became a theatre of wars between the Fatimids and Seljuks to control the pilgrimage route. This was the context when the Crusaders arrived; for nearly a century they occupied the territory of “Transjordan” and built fortresses. Under the Ayyubids, pilgrims travelled along the Kings’ Highway, along which the cities were fortified. The Mamluks created the province of Kerak south of the Wadi Mujib, since the north was attached to the province of Damascus, and encouraged its economic development. Sugar cane presses were built in the Jordan Valley while on the plateaus cereal farms and olive orchards spread. This growth was brought to an end by the Black Plague in 1340, which decimated between a third and half of the population. The Ottomans ensured the safety of Muslim pilgrims by paying khuwwa to large tribes. In the early sixteenth century, the territory of modern Jordan had only 400 villages inhabited by 35,000 people, subject to seasonal attacks by the Bedouin. Before the army and taxation reforms in the mid-nineteenth century, villagers lived in extreme poverty, with barely enough to survive. Their population is estimated to have been 225,000 at the end of the Ottoman Empire, including 103,000 nomads.

***

A partir de la conquête musulmane, le territoire de la Jordanie contemporaine se trouve pour la première fois à proximité d’un centre d’Empire, d’abord Médine puis Damas sous les Omeyyades. A la province byzantine d’Arabia succèdent le jund al-Urdunn (au nord-ouest du territoire) et le jund Dimashq (dans l’est et le sud). Amman et Aqaba sont refondées par les Omeyyades dont la cour itinérante fait construire des résidences somptueuses le long de wadis. Mais, à partir de 750, le centre de pouvoir, désormais abbasside, s’éloigne à Bagdad, et le territoire devient le théâtre de guerres entre les Fatimides et les Seldjoukides pour le contrôle de la route du pèlerinage. C’est dans ce contexte que déferlent les Croisés qui, pendant près d’un siècle, occupent le territoire « d’Outre-Jourdain » et y créent des forteresses. Sous les Ayyoubides, les pèlerins empruntent la route des rois le long de laquelle les villes sont fortifiées. Les Mamlouks créent la province de Kérak au sud du Wadi Mujib, le nord étant rattaché à la province de Damas, et encouragent leur essor économique. Des pressoirs à canne à sucre sont construits dans la vallée du Jourdain, tandis que sur les plateaux les céréales et l’oléiculture s’étendent. Mais cet essor est stoppé par la Peste Noire de 1340 qui décime entre le tiers et la moitié de la population. Les Ottomans veillent à assurer la sécurité des pèlerins musulmans en versant aux grandes tribus la khuwwa. Au début du XVIe siècle, le territoire de la Jordanie contemporaine ne compte que 400 villages peuplés de 35 000 personnes, en but aux attaques bédouines saisonnières. Avant le temps des réformes du milieu du XIXe siècle (réforme de l’armée et de la taxation), les villageois vivaient dans une grande pauvreté, à la limite de la subsistance. Leur population est estimée à 225 000 à la fin de l’Empire ottoman, dont 103 000 nomades.

Jabal Harun.

Jabal Harun.

Th. Fournet

Table des illustrations

Titre Jabal Harun.
Crédits Th. Fournet
URL http://books.openedition.org/ifpo/docannexe/image/4907/img-1.jpg
Fichier image/jpeg, 28k

© Presses de l’Ifpo, 2013

Conditions d’utilisation : http://www.openedition.org/6540